noun (plural friends)
- somebody emotionally close: somebody who trusts and is fond of another.
- acquaintance: somebody who thinks well of or is on good terms with somebody else.
- ally: an ally, or somebody who is not an enemy.
- advocate of cause: a defender or supporter of a cause, group, or principle.
- patron: a patron of a charity or institution. Friends of cultural institutions often receive privileges such as invitations to special events and the opportunity to order tickets before the general public.
Excerpted from MSN Encarta Dictionary
Hmmpf. I thought so. Not in my dictionary, and apparently Encarta agrees with me.