How to Spawn a Second AS/400 Console Session
This is a neat trick I was told when I was heavily tasked with querying The Company’s main system for various data. Sometimes, I need two simultaneous sessions with the AS/400 console, but the system won’t allow it (actually, it’s a security parameter implemented by my QSECOFR). So here’s the work around so we can at least have two simultaneous sessions with the AS/400 console (green screen).
- From any screen, press [Shift]-[Esc] keys on the keyboard simultaneously.
- On the blue line that appears in bottom of the screen, type “1”.
- You will be taken to a the system log-on screen, log-on as usual. You can either use your original credential or another one.
- Voila! Your second session is in place.
- To switch back to the first session, press [Shift]-[Esc] keys again.
- And don’t forget the “1”.
- You’re back!